Sunday 8 April 2012

TYSON FURY: I WAS A BIG FAT 23ST GYPSY BOXER

From the Daily Star

TYSON FURY has boiled off a shocking FIVE stone and ­overcome depression since his last fight.

The 6ft 9in Morecambe heavyweight had ballooned to 23 STONE but claims he has banished his demons and is ready to bring on the good times with victory over ­Martin Rogan on Saturday.

Fury, 23, sees victory over local hero Rogan, 40, in Belfast as the gateway to a world title shot against either Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko.

The Gypsy giant insists he is almost ready to take on the Ukrainian brothers despite being hurt and then decked in his last two outings.

The former British ­champion had a worrying time out of the ring after his last fight when baby son Prince was rushed to hospital with breathing problems.

Prince – now six months old – stopped breathing three times during his stay in hospital before he recovered and Fury says the episode has helped him overcome the dark times.

He said: “I was going through several bouts of depression last year. I didn’t understand what I had and everything was no good, everything I had was rubbish and I just wanted to have more.

“But now I realise that everything can be taken away from you just like that and now I just appreciate life more.

“I suppose it’s ­partly because of what happened with Prince. The ­depression was ­silliness really. If you think negative you won’t get anything achieved. I’m going to be more positive and I’m focused on what I’ve got to do.

“It’s all gone now and for the first time in my life I really appreciate what I’ve got and what talent God has given me.”

Fury ballooned to 23 stone following his family’s ordeal with Prince and he admits it has been a battle shedding the weight.

But after a new diet and hard work at a Manchester gym, Fury claims he is in the best condition of his career.

And to ensure he produces an improved display, Fury has left his Morecambe caravan and only sees wife Paris and children Venezuela and Prince at weekends.

He added: “I’ve had to lose a fair bit of weight. After the problems with Prince before Christmas I wasn’t training because my head wasn’t right and I put on five stone. It took about two months to lose it.

“I was in hospital all the time with him while he was poorly, for a week.

“There was only a vending machine and a café so I was just eating junk food. Then I took Christmas off so I had to get it all off in training and it has killed me – but it’s been worth it.

“I’m in better shape now than all of my previous fights put together.

“I want to make a statement in this fight and prove my critics wrong. I’m going to reveal a new side of Tyson Fury and prove I’m ready for the Klitschkos.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.