From the Packet
Dartmoor National Park Authority has started injunction proceedings in the High Court related to the unauthorised encampment at Marley Head, South Brent. An application for an injunction was lodged with the High Court in Bristol in February 2012 and court papers have now been issued for an initial hearing on April 19.
The parks'authority says that the land has been occupied in breach of planning control since January 2007. And that following a long process of negotiation and two failed planning applications, a planning Enforcement Notice was served in June 2010 requiring the occupiers of the land to stop using the land for human habitation and to remove all vehicles, caravans and other structures by May 6 last year.
The enforcement notice was not complied with. On August 5, members discussed the continued breach of the terms of the enforcement notice. The authority said: "After considering all potential options, authority members resolved to apply to the High Court for an injunction to secure a cessation of the breach of planning control.
"This is intended as an important step towards ending the breach of planning control and bringing forward a positive vision for this part of the National Park.
"The National Park Authority is working closely with South Hams District Council, which has responsibility to meet the housing needs of settled and Gypsy and Traveller communities, and Devon County Council which has responsibility towards the welfare of Gypsy and Travellers and the education of school age children of Gypsy and Traveller families.
"Whilst the specific responsibilities of the three authorities are different, the actions of each authority can impact on the others and therefore a joint approach is being taken to respond to the unauthorised encampment at Marley Head."