Thursday 9 February 2012

Gypsy TV star Paddy Doherty settled in Deeside

A BARE-KNUCKLE brawler who has become one of Britain’s biggest reality TV stars wants to leave his fighting days behind him after settling in Deeside.

Paddy Doherty now lives at Riverside Caravan Park in Queensferry and said he’s come to North Wales for a quiet life.

The 53-year-old Traveller, who moved to Flintshire from Manchester late last year, told the Chronicle: “It’s fantastic here, I wish I’d moved here 10 years ago when my wife wanted to, I love it.

“Everyone is so laid-back and relaxed, in Manchester everyone’s all go, go, go. It’s beautiful here and I’m definitely settled.”

Irishman Paddy was once featured on TV show Danny Dyer’s Deadliest Men and boasted of how he liked to bite the men he fought to ‘permanently disfigure them’.

His hard-man image was cemented after he came to prominence after appearing in Channel 4’s My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, but it was a softer Paddy who won the hearts of the British public when he appeared on Celebrity Big Brother last year.

And Paddy said his violent past is behind him after his cousin was jailed last month for biting off part of the his ear in a street brawl in Manchester.

Paddy was given a suspended sentence, but he said the move to Deeside has nothing to do with the family feud.

He insists he brought his luxury chalet to North Wales because wife Roseanne, 48, has long wanted to settle here.

“I decided I wanted to go somewhere nice and calm and get on with life,” he said.

But Paddy, a father-of-five, dismissed rumours he was looking to purchase a plot of land in Hope.

The grandfather-of-14 said he’s been taken aback by the warmth of the welcome he’s had since upping sticks – and wants to stay in Wales until ‘the day I die’.

He added: “Honest to God, I’ve never met nicer people. You’d think I was a celebrity.

“I don’t class myself as a celebrity. I’m normal.”

A new series of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding starts on Channel 4 on February 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.