Friday 10 May 2013

I understand discrimination, Katie tells Travellers - Ireland

From the Independent.ie

"It's terrible to see the discrimination. I've faced a lot of it myself through women's boxing. I know what they can go through. But I also know that if they just stay focused and keep going, great things will always come their way – nothing's impossible," she said.


The 26-year-old was speaking at the annual Traveller Pride Awards in Dublin yesterday.

"It's a privilege for me to be (here), I have close connections with Travellers – they're the foundation of Irish boxing," she said.

Taylor's Olympic teammate, silver medallist and settled Traveller from Mullingar John Joe Nevin, was the guest of honour.

Among the award winners was 'Voice of Ireland' runner-up, new mother Kelly Mongan, who received the music award.

The Traveller Pride Awards are the lead event for Traveller Pride Week, which takes place next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.