Wednesday 21 March 2012

Eight five jobs could go if Gypsy site goes ahead in Ellesmere Port - Cheshire

From the Ellesmere Port Pioneer

EIGHTY five people are fearing for their jobs after a factory owner revealed plans to move his business if a Gypsy site gets the final go-ahead.


Following a number of anonymous calls to the Pioneer from worried staff this week, managing director of Formes Alutek Mike Hart on Rossmore Road East, Overpool, has confirmed he is considering moving the firm to his home county of Shropshire if proposals for a 12-pitch site on a Rossfield Road council depot get the green light.

The company, which manufactures aluminium products, has been a fixture on Rossmore Industrial Estate for 27 years.

“It’s a complete and utter nightmare for me, I think the people that work for me are absolutely marvellous,” said Mr Hart.

“But what do I do? In my view this has become a residential area now.

“The truth is I don’t want to leave. What I would like is for Ellesmere Port to get its head together and realise that you can’t put Gypsies on an industrial estate."

Mr Hart believes changing the site from industrial to residential would force him to fork out for increased security.

He said he hoped to offer workers a chance to relocate, but believed the commute would be too lengthy for most.

He added: “I don’t want to close the business. I want to try to look after my people because I take that responsibility very seriously. But it’s no good if we don’t have a business. It’s no good if it’s not cost effective."

Council spokeswoman Shirley Whingfield said: “We are aware of examples of such sites on industrial estates in other authorities where there have been no adverse effects whatsoever on businesses.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.