Tuesday 8 April 2014

International Romani Day: and why this year will be my last.

From Pipopotamus

Last year I asked the question “Why are Britain’s Romani not at the forefront of International Romani Day action?”; a simple question, you would expect, yet, one that seemed to unsettle the so called activists who had turned this day into a Dale Farm Remembrance day. This was the first year in which I felt uneasy celebrating International Romani Day, in fact, it was the start of a year long journey of confronting and rebuffing everything I had ever taken for granted: my knowledge of self and my knowledge of us – the Romani people. This year will be my last International Romani Day – an unexpected statement some may say, given my usual forthright support of all things Romani. I’m still a proud Romani man; I’m still passionate and sincere about equality; but on my journey of discovery I recognised how distant this day has become from us – the Romani people – who it superficially aids.

read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.