Tuesday 25 March 2014

Fury as Travellers set up in Monikie - Angus

From thetele.co.uk

Residents in a quiet village spoke of their fury after Travellers parked their caravans on the site of a housing development.


The group turned up late last Thursday night behind Granary Terrace and Granary Wynd in Monikie, inside a fenced plot earmarked for 24 new properties.

Neighbours have complained of noise from the Travellers’ generators and children who were swinging golf clubs and kicking footballs on the land.

There are currently two caravans in place, but people living nearby fear an influx of further Travellers moving in.

One resident who did not wish to be named said: “We actually received a letter a few weeks back saying a company would soon be building houses on the site.

“It was just when I was going to my bed that I first realised someone was there, as all I could hear was a generator running.

“Initially I thought it might be workmen starting to live there but then the next day I saw two kids and a dog running around, which suggested it was Travellers.

“I can’t work out how they knew they could get in there.

“There have never been Travellers here before. I just don’t think they should be here, it’s not what we want.

“Monikie is a lovely quiet place and these properties getting built are going to be selling for about £500,000.

“I actually live in a housing association property, but that doesn’t matter, I still pay my rent and council tax — I shouldn’t have to look out on to Travellers. Hopefully this is it, and there will not be any more turning up.”

Receptionist Violetta Taylor, 45, whose property overlooks the Travellers, said she was concerned.

She said: “I didn’t realise they were here as it was dark when they arrived, but my neighbour was very angry when he told me.

“Although there are only two caravans, I saw three kids and a pram and there must have been a few men and about four women.

The Travellers are set up on the site of a proposed construction of 24 new houses by Stirling-based developers Ogilvie Group.

The company was asked to comment but had not done so by the time of going to press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.