Tuesday 7 May 2013

Charly and the wow factor - Cambridgeshire

From the Cambridge News

Thanks to the BAFTA-nominated series My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Traveller brides’ elaborate, meringue-style dresses have become the stuff of legend. Louise Cummings meets dressmaker Charlotte Ince, who is rapidly becoming the ‘Thelma’ of Cambridge.


Driving into Cottenham to track down Charly Girl, the studio of dress designer Charlotte Ince, I am momentarily dazzled as the sun glints, reflecting off something shimmering in a doorway. Turns out it’s several thousand glistening rhinestones, part of an extravagant jewel-encrusted, dusky pink bridesmaid dress; clearly I am in the right place. Mum-of-one Charlotte, 31, is the ‘go to’ girl for Cambridge’s travelling community, who – just like the stars of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding – are desperate to outdo each other in terms of ‘wow’ factor frocks, wanting extravagant confections of duchess satin, multi-layered tulle and more bling than all Katie Price’s weddings put together.

“This is one of three bridesmaids dresses I am making for a Gypsy family from Smithy Fen,” Charlotte tells me, as I admire the sparkly creation, which features four oversized roses showered in crystals and a huge, puffy skirt. “I hand-stuck the rhinestones onto the roses and there are literally thousands. Travellers love bling,” she smiles.

Elsewhere in the studio are flamboyant fascinators, twinkling tiaras and some seriously skimpy, dayglo outfits; a hot pick for Traveller wedding guests. There’s an eyecatching two-piece in electric blue and shocking pink, featuring a waistcoat bra top and tutu, plus matching wrist cuffs and hairpiece. Hanging on the same rail is a fluorescent yellow and zebra leotard dress with built-in bra top, and on the nearby mannequin I admire a sailor-style bodycon shift dress, complete with military zips, shiny brass buttons and cuffs.

“It’s all about standing out for Traveller girls, so everything has to be fluorescent and covered in rhinestones,” Charlotte tells me, flicking through her latest arrival of lycra and latex in eye-popping neon shades. “They like yellows, pinks, greens, turquoise and lots of net, so their tutus stand out as far as they can get them.

The girls have lots of weddings, christenings and discos so will order two or three dresses each, with all the matching accessories; everything must match.”

Creating glitzy, ostentatious outfits is a far cry from Charlotte’s first job as a designer for upmarket wedding boutique Richard Designs in Ely. Landing the position a fortnight after finishing her fashion degree from Northampton University was a real coup. “It was a bit of a dream job really; I started off seamstressing, learned how to construct the dresses and then went into their design team, and got to go to the British Bridal Exhibition at Harrogate, where I had loads of the dresses on the catwalk,” she recalls.

During her three years, Charlotte discovered she loved helping brides craft their fairytale day, and while she enjoyed working on slinky Jenny Packham-style gowns, it became frustrating that her ideas for more flamboyant frocks had to remain within her head. “It was quite restricted,” she recalls. “The dresses were lovely but actually fairly plain, using all the same standard materials. Whereas with Gypsies, it’s a whole different ballgame, all fancy materials, bright colours, lots of embellishment and you can go crazy!” she smiles.

This, coupled with a desire to work for herself – and many viewing hours of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding (the hit show which transformed Liverpudlian dress designer Thelma Madine into a shining star thanks to her Swarovski-drenched mega-gowns weighing up to 21 stone) – made Charlotte determined to ingratiate herself within the Gypsy world.

“Ever since I watched the show, I knew I wanted to make Gypsy dresses. I was quite lucky as my friend, who runs Revival boutique and fashion agency in Cottenham, told me the ladies from Smithy Fen had been into the shop asking if she knew any dressmakers. So she asked me if I was interested and of course I said yes.”

Starting her business – Charly Girl – from her Oakington home, where she would literally roll up the carpet and use the floorspace to work on her designs, Charlotte eventually realised she needed a studio, which she acquired at Watson’s Yard, Cottenham last November. With her 6-year-old son William at school, she now has more time to knock up her fantastical designs, which is a good job, as she currently has 16 dresses and 20 hats on the go!

“It’s all very exciting,” she enthuses. “I can’t believe how busy I am. One Traveller girl will tell another and then90 they will come along on that recommendation, but I have to be careful to keep the dresses hidden, as they like their creations to remain a surprise until the day they wear them.”

With Travellers coming in for bad press over the years, I wonder how this material girl has found her dealings with her niche clientele? “I’m working mainly with two families from Smithy Fen and the girls are really nice. I remember taking their measurements at my studio as they weren’t initially allowed to come to my house. They get chaperoned, so their dads or partners sit outside in the cars while they come in. We get on great and you can always tell when they’ve got a party the next day because they turn up looking so glamorous with their spray tans, eyelashes and nails all done.”

With her current commissions mainly bridesmaid dresses, party outfits, tiaras, fascinators and hats, Charlotte is hoping to attract more brides, so she can get to work on some seriously big, bold, show-stopping wedding dresses.

“My dream is just to make lots of big fat Gypsy wedding dresses. I love Thelma; she’s became such a big name in the industry now, so I definitely want to be known as the next Thelma of Cambridge!”


Charlotte is available to make dresses (price on application), as well as fascinators, tiaras, hats and jewellery. She also hand dyes bags and fascinators to colour-match to outfits.

Find out more at www.charlygirl.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.